San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of United States San Antonio Arsenal
Originally housed at the Alamo, the arsenal was established at this location in 1858. The facility initially included an office building, magazine, and commander’s quarters. A portion of the San Pedro Acequia (ca. 1730) carried water across the property. During the Civil War (1861-65) the arsenal was used by the Confederacy. Returned to U.S. Army command after the war, the arsenal supplied ordnance to military outposts within the Department of Texas. During this period a stable and storehouse were erected. Additional buildings were constructed in 1916 and 1933. The arsenal was closed in 1949. The complex was renovated in 1984-85 to provide headquarters for H·E·B a regional supermarket company founded 1905 Kerrville, Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • War, World I • War, World II.
Location. 29° 24.998′ N, 98° 29.618′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Washington Street north of East Arsenal Street, on the left when traveling north Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Gustav Blersch House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oge House (about 400 feet away); Sartor House (about 600 feet away); Alfred Giles House (about 700 feet away); Television History was Made Here / Aquí Se Hizo Historia en la Televisión (about 700 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. San Antonio Arsenal. During the Civil War the twenty-one-acre reservation was occupied by Confederate forces and the supplies were used for the Confederate war effort. After the war the United States Army once again took possession of the complex, and over the course of the next half century it was gradually enlarged; by the end of World War I the arsenal comprised thirty-eight buildings. During both world wars it served as a major supply depot. The volume of operations reached its height during World War II, when it shipped more than 337,000,000 pounds of ammunition. (Submitted on June 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. San Antonio Arsenal History. (This link presents some historic photos of the arsenal, and very detailed information on its construction, additions and revisions through the years.) The Magazine was built up to the arch by the U.S. Government and finished during the Civil War by the Confederates under Major J. H. Jampman, CSA. The Armorers' Shop was partly built by the U.S. Government, as far as the top doorstep, when the war broke out. The Confederates finished it with soft rock. In 1871 Capt. Comly assumed command, and the soft rock was torn down and the shop was finished with hard rock as originally intended. (Submitted on June 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. San Antonio Arsenal. Expansion continued over the years and by 1920 the arsenal had forty-four buildings. The Arsenal was moved out of the city to Camp Stanley in 1931 but the U.S. Army kept control of the site until it was deactivated in 1947. Much of the arsenal grounds is now the company headquarters for the H.E.B. Corporation. The 1883 Arsenal Commanders Quarters is part of a 2.7 acre city park and is used as a senior center for the community. (Submitted on June 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.