Beaumont in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Port of Beaumont
The city of Beaumont, 41 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico, was served from its founding in 1837 by schooners and sternwheelers navigating the Neches River. The three-foot depth of Sabine Lake between the river's mouth and the Gulf limited passage to shallow-draft vessels. Surveys after 1852 recommended navigation improvements, and dredging of a 12-foot-deep channel at Sabine Pass began in 1876.
Competition appeared in 1897 when a new railroad passed through Beaumont to terminate at Sabine Lake. There Port Arthur was established and a 25-foot-deep canal was dug from the Gulf to the new city.
Other railroads and Beaumont businesses then supported extension of the new canal and deep-dredging of the Neches. In 1911 Beaumont shared half the cost with the Federal government of dredging a 25-foot-deep channel. One year later a Wharf and Dock Commission was appointed by Mayor Emmett A. Fletcher (1867-1943); Charles E. Walden (1865-1938) was its first chairman.
The deep water port and Sabine-Neches waterway were officially opened in 1916. The Port of Beaumont Navigation District was created by the Texas Legislature
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10554.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 30° 4.741′ N, 94° 5.51′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Franklin Street. The marker is on your left as you enter the Port of Beaumont. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1225 Main Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson County Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beaumont (approx. Ό mile away); Henry Millard (approx. Ό mile away); Tyrrell Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. half a mile away); Noah Tevis (approx. half a mile away); Saint Anthony's Cathedral (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Regarding Port of Beaumont. Though almost unheard of, The Port of Beaumont is the fourth
Also see . . .
1. Port of Beaumont. Texas Ports Association website entry (Submitted on August 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Port of Beaumont. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on August 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on June 11, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.