New Market in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In Memory of General Robert E. Lee
This tablet erected May 21, 1952 by the Breckinridge Chapter of The United Daughters of the Confederacy and given by the granddaughter of Dr. Casper C. Henkel, surgeon of General "Stonewall" Jackson's staff.
General Jackson, seated upon his horse, 'Little Sorrel' reviewed his troops as they passed this corner.
Erected 1952 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 38° 38.871′ N, 78° 40.3′ W. Marker is in New Market, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on South Congress Street (U.S. 11) near East Old Cross Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9386 South Congress St, New Market VA 22844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson in New Market (a few steps from this Gen. John Sevier (within shouting distance of this marker); The Henkel House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Garland Jefferson (about 400 feet away); The Old Home of William F. Rupp (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Genuine Relic (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Shirley House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Battle of New Market (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
Also see . . .
1. Shenandoah Battlefields Foundation. (Submitted on June 11, 2018, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia.)
2. National Park Service - Shenandoah Valley Battlefields National Historic District. (Submitted on June 11, 2018, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2018, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 11, 2018, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.