Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dog Town Jail
First County Jail, built 1880 at cost of $2800. First expenses included 2 blankets, pair of leg irons, 2 pairs handcuffs.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1242.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement.
Location. 28° 27.645′ N, 98° 32.939′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker can be reached from Elm Street (State Highway 72) east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on front of the jail building, to the right of the front entrance. Jail is located across courthouse square (to the east) from the McMullen County Courthouse. The Jail faces the back side of the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 504 Courthouse Drive, Tilden TX 78072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tilden (within shouting distance of this marker); McMullen County Old Rock Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boot Hill Cemetery, 1858-77 (about 500 feet away); Original Burial Site of Moses William Hindes (about 500 feet away); San Caja Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Rio Frio, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Old McMullen College (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tilden.
Regarding Dog Town Jail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1966)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.