Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville
The Flores de Abrego family came to the New World from northern Spain before the time of the American Revolution. During the 18th century, members of this family brought their cattle northward and established ranches along the San Antonio River.
The head of this family was Francisco Antonio Flores de Abrego II (d. 1757), who married Rosa Hermenegilda Hernandez. Their son, Jose Joaquin Flores de Abrego (1742-c.1800), grew up on the San Bartolo Ranch in present Karnes County. Jose Joaquin's grandsons Manuel, Salvador, Nepomuceno, and Jose Maria later fought on the side of the Texians during the Revolution for Independence from Mexico.
In 1854 Josefa Agustina Flores de Abrego, daughter of Jose Maria Flores de Abrego, married Samuel William Barker, who became Wilson County's first sheriff in 1860. In 1867 Josefa's donation of 200 acres of land was accepted by the County Commissioners Court as the site for the new county seat. As she requested, the new town was named Floresville in honor of her ancestor, Francisco Antonio Flores de Abrego II. As prominent ranchers, with cattle brands registered in Floresville, the Flores
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5335.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 7.988′ N, 98° 9.456′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is on 3rd Street north of D Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk near the Wilson County Courthouse main entrance on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1420 3rd Street, Floresville TX 78114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson County (here, next to this marker); James Charles Wilson (a few steps from this marker); Wilson County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Captain Will Wright (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); White House Café and Saloon (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Floresville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Floresville United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floresville.
Also see . . .
1. Floresville in the Beginning.
The city of Floresville, Texas was established in the mid-1800's, by Canary Island immigrant Don Francisco Flores de Abrego. Flores de Abrego established a ranch headquarters six miles northwest of the site of present day Floresville. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. I.D. (Nash) Flores, Jr.
I. D. Flores Jr., civic leader and long time resident of Floresville, Texas was a major part of the fabric of this south Texas town for most of the 1900's and was from a proud Spanish and Canary Island heritage that was central to the founding and early development of San Antonio and Floresville. Born in San Antonio of the historic Flores family and a direct descendant of Francisco Flores de Abrego, a prominent early San Antonio pioneer, Mr. Flores spent most of his adult life in the community of Floresville. He was also a direct descendant of the founders of Floresville. Mr. Flores was a twelfth generation Texan who cherished his family legacy of owning and ranching original land deeded in Spanish land grants dating to the early 1700's. (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.