Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace
It is as a researcher in the fields of immunology, blood types, and tropical diseases that Dr. Moss is best remembered. His most noted single contribution lay in the development of the Moss System, a classification of blood groupings which he labeled I through IV. This system was widely used throughout the world until modified during World War II. Dr. Moss headed numerous international medical research expeditions in the Caribbean, South America, and the South Pacific from 1914 to 1937.
Dr. Moss died in Athens on August 12, 1957.
Erected 1983 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Donor: Athens Historical Society. (Marker Number 029-14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 57.598′ N, 83° 23.538′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is on Cobb Street 0 miles west of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 479 Cobb Street, Athens GA 30606, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. America’s First Garden Club (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. ¼ mile away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. half a mile away); Camak House: (approx. half a mile away); May Erwin Talmadge (approx. half a mile away); University of Georgia Botanical Garden (approx. half a mile away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,415 times since then and 15 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?