San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Elias and Lucy Edmonds House
Former Confederate officer and Virginia state legislator Elias Edmonds married Lucy Noyes Hall in 1871, and they moved to San Antonio that year. In 1877, they built one of the first houses in the King William neighborhood. Elias was a successful lawyer, and Lucy began and operated a “High School for Young Ladies” on the grounds of their home. Prominent physician Amos Graves and his wife Katherine, a notable realtor, next owned the house, making some additions and alterations. Dr. Otto and Virginia Potthast lived here for more than forty years. The substantial two-story house features dressed and rough cut limestone and a deep full-height front porch and gallery.
Marker is property of The State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15407.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Notable Buildings • Women.
Location. 29° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419 King William Street, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norton-Polk-Mathis House (within shouting distance of this marker); King William Neighborhood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Edward Steves House (about 400 feet away); Edward Steves Homestead (about 500 feet away); Alfred Giles House (about 600 feet away); Biesenbach House (about 700 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carl Hilmar Guenther House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Regarding Elias and Lucy Edmonds House. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (2008). Included within San Antonio's King William Historic District.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . .
1. King William Historic District. The King William Historic District is just south of the central (Submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Elias Edmonds House. This simply designed house was constructed with materials brought by oxcart from Indianola. Note the stone lintels spanning the openings. Mrs. L.N. Edmonds operated a “Ladies Boarding School” here. An early graduate received a diploma for her attainments in “literary, classical and scientific knowledge and her polite and dignified deportment.” (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.