Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The National Arch at Valley Forge
“We, as Freemasons, believe our children and their children need to know that the men in 1777 cared about freedom. They need to know that Freemasons in 1996 still care about freedom.”
Edward O. Weisser, R.W. Grand Master, Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania, March 15, 1996
A National Treasure
The National Memorial Arch was authorized by Congress in 1910 as a tribute to George Washington and his army who endured the winter encampment at Valley Forge in 1777 – 1778. It was designed by Paul Phillipe Cret, a prominent Philadelphia architect, and
During 1996 – 1997, the Freemasons of Pennsylvania contributed more than one million five hundred thousand dollars necessary to preserve the Arch to its original grandeur.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 15, 1918.
Location. 40° 5.477′ N, 75° 26.326′ W. Marker is in Upper Merion Township, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on S Outer Line Drive, on the left when traveling south. Marker is on the auto tour road in Valley Forge National Historical Park, on S Outer Line Drive, at stop three of the driving tour of Valley Forge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 Gulph Rd, King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freemasons of Pennsylvania (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glover’s Brigade (about 500 feet away); Massachusetts MonumentPennsylvania Columns (approx. 0.2 miles away); Poor’s Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maine (approx. 0.3 miles away); DeKalb's Division (Learned's Brigade) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Valley Forge Hut (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Merion Township.
More about this marker. The marker contains a number of photographs of the Arch. On the upper left is a photo of the renovated Arch, courtesy of John H. Ansley. At the bottom of the marker is an old photo with the caption “Original construction nears completion as workmen set keystone during the original construction circa 1912.” Next to this is another photo, courtesy of Jonathan Wilson, of workmen during the restoration. It has a caption of “Nine tons of structural steel was welded into place in the two attic rooms at the top of the Arch to provide the necessary support as part of the preservation project.” To the right is work-in-progress photo with the caption “Scaffolding completely surrounds the Arch during the preservation project in 1996 – 1997.” Finally, the upper right of the marker features a photo of the “Signing ceremonies for Pennsylvania Freemasons to preserve the National Memorial Arch, March 15, 1996.”
Also see . . . National Memorial Arch, Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on September 28, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,655 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 28, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 7. submitted on August 17, 2015, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.