Near Mt. Morris in Wyoming County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Former Site of Gibsonville
area from 1825-1900
Erected by New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 42.126′ N, 77° 56.256′ W. Marker is near Mt. Morris, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker is on Letchworth Park Road 3.7 miles south of Mt. Morris Road (County Route 36), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located inside Letchworth State Park, south of the Mt. Morris entrance from Mt. Morris Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Morris NY 14510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gardeau Tract (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mount Morris Dam Commemorative Kiosk (approx. 2.6 miles away); Why Was This Dam Built? (approx. 2.6 miles away); Dam Facts (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Largest Dry Bed Dam East of the Mississippi River Mt. Morris Dam (approx. 2.7 miles away); Richmond-Andrus Mill Site (approx. 3˝ miles away); Mary S. Howell (approx. 3˝ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Gibsonville. The small pioneer village of Gibsonville, first settled in 1792 by Ebenezer “Indian” Allen, who built a sawmill along the Silver Lake Outlet just to northeast of this marker. At its peak, Gibsonville was home to 16 houses, a general store, post office, shoemaker mill, blacksmith and a primary school. From 1933 to 1941 the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a worker camp here. Many of the ruins one can find today are from the CCC camp. (Submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Gibsonville Trail. Trail #19 at Letchworth is known as the Gibsonville Trail because it winds in the area where the small hamlet of Gibsonville once stood. This trail features an old CCC camp from the 1940s, which includes the remains of an old well as well as the fireplace remains of the Officer's Quarters. (Submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Gibsonville. In the 1840's the grist mill was converted to a paper mill which made fine paper using remnant rags from the Perry knitting mills. The mill burned in l894 and was not rebuilt. The village gradually faded from the records and was finally gone by the time the land was acquired as part of the park. In 1933 the area was occupied by a CCC Camp with numerous buildings to house the corps members. The landscape was changed markedly by road and bridge construction and today the remaining evidence of Gibsonville is the chimney of the CCC dining hall and, a short distance south, one remaining residence that houses the Camping Area Caretaker at the Perry Entrance. (Submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Early Wyoming County History. The first white man to live within the boundaries of the county was Ebenezer Allen, called at the time "Indian Allen," a tory, who, towards the close of the Revolution, made his home at the house of Mary Jemison for whom he farmed until 1783. He was a "swindler, a polygamist, an adulterer and murderer, one of the foulest characters of his day." He later built a saw and gristmill on the site, and eventually fled into Canada. (Submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.