Boise in Ada County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
McClelland (sic) Ferry
Erected 1932 by Daughter of the American Revolution, Pioneer Chapter.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Sons and Daughters of Idaho Pioneers series lists.
Location. 43° 36.549′ N, 116° 12.462′ W. Marker is in Boise, Idaho, in Ada County. Marker is on South Capitol Boulevard near Julia Davis Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 850 South Capitol Boulevard, Boise ID 83702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson Price Hunt Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); The WPA (Works Project Administration) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reinhold Chrystman (about Sacajawea and Pomp (about 700 feet away); The Boise Gallery of Art - 1937 (about 800 feet away); The Story of Julia & Tom Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boise.
More about this marker. The marker is located near the north end of the Capitol Boulevard Memorial Bridge.
Also see . . .
1. McClellan's Ferry. In December 1864, John McClellan and Dr. William Thompson were given a state charter to build and operate a ferry at this crossing. The charter was issued in the name of Ada Ferry Company although it was simply known as “McClellan’s Ferry”. (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
2. John McClellan - Localwiki. In 1863 he claimed 80 acres on the north side of the Boise River to the west of the present day 9th Street. ... By April 1864 McClellan and Dr. Thompson petitioned the Territorial Legislature to franchise the Ada Ferry Company, which gave them a monopoly on river crossing 1 mile either side of 8th Street, where there had already been an established ford across the river used by Native Americans. (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.