Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Polk County, C.S.A.
During Civil War, 1861-65, an area of piney woods, farms, thickets, with an Alabama-Coushatta Indian reservation. Had only 600 voters in 1860 but sent 900 soldiers into the Confederate Army.
Furnished 4 units to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. B, 1st Regiment; Co. F, 4th Regiment; Co. H and Co. K, 5th Regiment). Also organized Co. K, 14th Texas Infantry, Randal's Brigade; Co. E, 20th Texas Infantry, Harrison's Brigade; Co. F, 22nd Texas Infantry, Waul's Brigade. 21 of the Alabama-Coushattas joined Co. A, Indian Cavalry.
In 1861, gave through Commissioners Court $1,600 to clothe its soldiers. Throughout the war, old men, women, children and slaves produced food and cotton for support of the war effort.
County's numerous ferries and rivers were used in transporting troops and supplies. Such ports as Drew's Landing floated out goods on flatboats. Industries and facilities of importance included Moscow's sawmill, cotton gin, drugstore and school operated throughout the war by the Masonic Lodge.
Livingston was headquarters, 1867-68, for the Federal Army of Occupation, 5th Military District, with Co. A, 15th Infantry
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10419.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 42.649′ N, 94° 55.989′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Avenue (Business U.S. 59) and West Church Street (U.S. 190), on the right when traveling south on North Washington Avenue. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Church Street, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polk County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 1905 Courthouse Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Polk County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Livingston (about 400 feet away); First State Bank of Livingston (about 400 feet away); "Polk County Enterprise" (about 600 feet away); Old Livingston Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on June 25, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 3. submitted on August 6, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.