Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fernandez Hide Yard
Established 1880-1894 by Miguel Fernandez, a wealthy Spanish merchant, this was a bone and hide yard built to cater to the Texas Gulf Coast cattle industry. Built in the Border Brick style, it is one of the few remaining buildings that composed the historic core of Market Square in downtown Brownsville.
Establecido 1880-1894 por Miguel Fernández, un comerciante adinerado español, el edificio fue construido para uso de industria de hueso y piel del vaca. La arquitectura es del estilo del ladrillo regional. Es uno de los pocos edificios originales que restran de los cuales formaban el centro historico de la zona coincida como la Marqueta.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 25° 54.176′ N, 97° 29.84′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East Adams Street and East 11th Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 East Adams Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard (here, next to this marker); San Fernando Buildings (a few steps from this marker); Whitmans's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Juan H. Fernandez y Hermano Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Juan H. Fernandez Store (about 300 feet away); Public Market and Town Hall (about 300 feet away); Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (about 400 feet away); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Regarding Fernandez Hide Yard. National Register of Historic Places (1990)
Also see . . . Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard. The Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard was one of at least four hide yards in Brownsville. A drought in the late 1880s caused area ranchers to bring their cattle to market early, but the cattle market had already hit rock-bottom. Ranchers were forced to slaughter their cattle on the range. This meant that anything perishable - like meat - had to be discarded. The ranchers were left with the non-perishable by-products of cattle: tallow, bones, horns, (Submitted on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.