Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old County Jail / Fernandez Building
Built in 1882-1883, designed by the firm J.N. Preston and Son, it is the first building specifically built as the county jail. It is an example of the Border Brick style. In 1912 it was sold to the brothers Jose & Joaquin Fernandez. They converted the jail into a store with two living quarters and enclosed the buttressed brick perimeter walls.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Law Enforcement • Notable Buildings.
Location. 25° 54.211′ N, 97° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1154 East Madison Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Jail (a few steps from this marker); Old Cameron County Courthouse/Dancy Building (a few steps from this marker); 1882 Cameron County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1912 Cameron County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.