Riggins in Idaho County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Educating Riggins' Children
So Many Years, So Many Schools
— Salmon River Heritage Waking Tour —
The area’s first school opened its door in 1894 on a flat near the river in north Riggins. The small log cabin, with few windows and a fireplace, served as the classroom for fourteen students in grades one through eight. It was used for only a few years and the school was relocated to a small building on the south end of town near Flume Gulch.
Third School (photo bottom left)
In 1904, school classes were moved back into town to the building pictured here. Located on the north corner of Ace’s Place, the building is still being used today as a private residence.
Fourth and Fifth Schools
In 1905, Charlie Clay donated land south of Salmon Street and a small one-room schoolhouse was built of lumber. The small school also served as the community’s meeting place. On weekends the desks were moved outside and it was used for community dances and sporting activities. Drinking and washing water, which was hauled from the irrigation ditch or river, was stored in buckets on school benches. In 1921 additional land was purchased at this site and
Sixth School -- Old School (photo middle right)
When the Pollock and Riggins school districts consolidated to form Common School District #31, a new high school was built in 1940 to accommodate both communities. Riggins students helped in the actual construction of the building and also installed hardwood floors in nearby Clay’s Hall for basketball games and high school boxing smokers to raise funds for their new school. The first high school graduation was held here in the spring of 1941 with seven students graduating!
“Old School” remained a high school until the present high school facility was built in 1958, and has been used for elementary, kindergarten and the After School Kids Program since.
Erected by City of Riggins.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education
Location. 45° 25.368′ N, 116° 18.87′ W. Marker is in Riggins, Idaho, in Idaho County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 95) near School Drivway, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 North Main Street, Riggins ID 83549, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keeping the Faith (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Businesses (about 400 feet away); Riggins in the 1940s (about 400 feet away); The Evolution of a River Terrace (about 500 feet away); Riggins Area Honor Roll (about 500 feet away); Riggins' Early Hotels (about 600 feet away); The Scow (about 700 feet away); Clay's Swinging Bridge (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riggins.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.