Albuquerque in Bernalillo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
San Felipe de Alburquerque
First marker on left:
San Felipe de Alburquerque, named for King Phillip V of Spain and the Duke of Alburquerque was, founded in 1706 by Gov. Francisco Cuervo Valdez with 30 families from Bernalillo accompanied by soldiers to protect them from nomadic Indians. Spanish custom required the church to be ready when a town was established so it is assumed that the church was also built in 1706. The original church faced east toward the old plaza which extended north and south. After floods and disasters it was remodeled in 1795 much as we see it today. The present plaza dates from American times. In Spanish days the town was often raided by hostile Indians. With the opening of overland trade Albuquerque became an important stop on the Santa Fe –Chihuahua trail.
Woodmen of the World
Second marker from the left:
In 1821 Mexico became independent from Spain and the flag of the Mexican Republic flew over the plaza. Trade began with the U.S. and soon wagons rolled over the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri. They came through Alburquerque
Second marker from the right:
March 2, 1862, the Union Cavalry commanded by Capt. Herbert Enos abandoned the garrison at Alburquerque, burned buildings, food and materiel and retreated north to Ft. Union. Gen. Henry Sibly, Commander of the Southern Forces entered the city and raised the Confederate Flag over the plaza. Some citizens were pro-south but most were loyal to the U.S. After the defeat of the Confederate Army at Apache Canyon they retreated to Albuquerque. Union General E. R. S. Canby began the bombardment of Albuquerque on April 10, 1862. After several hours he ordered a cease-fire to protect citizens. The Confederates buried their cannons and under cover of darkness left Albuquerque, dispersed as an army and returned to Texas.
Marker on the far right:
After the Civil War there was great change in Old Albuquerque but without the lawlessness that marked other frontier towns. It was a supply center for Indians, farmers, ranchers and military posts. Hotels, saloons, dance halls, blacksmith shops, stables and eventually a school and bank joined the old church around the plaza. In 1880 the railroad came but its route lay 2 miles east. Most business moved to new town and a horse drawn street car down Railroad Avenue joined the two Albuquerques. Once again the plaza became a quiet place surrounded by homes, a few stores and always the church. Old Albuquerque became an island of yesterday surrounded by a sea of change and progress and thus it remains today - the historic birthplace of the Duke City – Albuquerque.
The Kiwanis Club of Albuquerque
Erected 1969 by Woodman of the World, Plaza Business Assoc., the Albuqerque Historical Society and the Kiwanis Club of Albuquerque.
Location. 35° 5.766′ N, 106° 40.21′ W. Marker is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in Bernalillo County. Marker can be reached from South Plaza Street NW Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albuquerque NM 87104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Skirmish of Albuquerque (a few steps from this marker); In This Plaza Were Enacted (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe De Neri (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Albuquerque (within shouting distance of this marker); Mountain Howitzers (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa de Armijo (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albuquerque.
Also see . . . The History of Albuquerque. Albuquerque's history presented by the Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on August 8, 2011.)
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for San Felipe de Alburquerque.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 763 times since then. Last updated on June 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.