Harlingen in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(side one – English)
In 1902 developer Lon C. Hill purchased 17 square miles of school lands from Cameron County. He paid $13,837.50. The semi-arid land was part of the Concepcion de Carricitos Spanish Land Grant to the brothers Eugenio and Bartolome Fernandez in 1781.
Hill knew that two things could enhance his property: water to irrigate crops and a railroad to transport the commodities to market. In 1907 he began building a pumping station at on the Rio Grande and major gravity-flow canals stretching 14.6 miles north of the river. Hill encouraged his associates to invest in a railroad to the Valley and dedicate rights-of-way for it.
On April 20, 1904, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway reached his rugged settlement between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. Hill selected the name “Harlingen” for the station and post office to honor Uriah Lott’s ancestral homes in Holland and New Jersey. Early nicknames included “Rattlesnake Junction” and “Six-Shooter Junction.”
With the continued construction of the railroad west from Harlingen, the town became
(side two – Spanish)
En 1902, el promotor inmobiliario Lon C. Hill adquirió 17 millas cuadradas de tierras escolares del Condado de Cameron. El Sr. Hill pagó $ 13,837.50. La tierra semi-árida era parte de la Subvención Española de Tierras Concepción de Carricitos (Conception de Carricitos Spanish Land Grant) otorgada a los hermanos Eugenio y Bartolomé Fernández en 1781.
Hill sabía que dos situaciones mejorarian su propiedad: el agua para irrigar los cultivos y una línea ferroviaria para transporter el product al mercado. En 1907 empezó a construir una estación de bombeo sobre el Río Bravo y canales de irrigación que fluían bajo gravedad alcanzando 14.6 millas hacia el norte del río. Hill alentó a sus asociados a que invirtieran en un ferrocarril para el Valle y cedieran los derechos de paso para el mismo.
El 20 de abril de 1904, el ferrocarril de St. Louis, Brownsville y México llegó a su accidentado asentamiento entre Corpus Christi y Brownsville. Hill seleccionó el nombre "Harlingen" en ese lugar, para la estación y la oficina postal, honrando a Uriah Lott y los orígenes ancestrales del constructor del ferrocarril en Hollanda y Nueva Jersey. Los apodos usados en aquella época incluían "Estación Empalme de Serpiente Cascabel" y "Estación Empalme de Revólver de seis disparos".
Con la continua construcción del ferrocarril el oeste de Harlingen, la ciudad se convirtió en un área comercial. La industria del algodón se desarolló en las áreas aledañas e, al igual que la producción de cítricos y verduras. Las cosecha eran empacadas, refrigeradas ny enviadas de sus instalaciones en la ciudad. La llegada del ferrocarril Southern Pacific a principios de 1927, consolidó la posición de Harlingen como el más importante centro de transporte. Los edificios comerciales sobre las calles Jackson, Van Buren y Harrison y las casas de "Medias de Seda" sobre la calle Taylor Este, muestran el vivo testamento de la prosperidad de la ciudad en los años de 1920 y principios de 1930.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 26° 11.448′ N, 97° 41.829′ W. Marker is in Harlingen, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of West Harrison Avenue (State Highway 206) and South West Street, on the right when traveling west on West Harrison Avenue. Marker is located in a small plaza at the northeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harlingen TX 78550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 2.9 miles away); San Benito Post Office (approx. 5.7 miles away); Historic U.S. Post Office (approx. 5.7 miles away); First Methodist Church of San Benito (approx. 5.7 miles away); Water District Building (approx. 5.8 miles away); Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions (approx. 10.4 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at waist-level, on a large limestone masonry monument. The marker is double-sided, with one side in English and the other in Spanish. The marker is at the south end of a large parking lot for Harlingen's Centennial Park (located one block north).
Also see . . .
1. Harlingen, Texas. Harlingen's strategic location at the intersection of U.S. highways 77 and 83 in northwestern Cameron County fostered its development as a distribution, shipping, and industrial center. In 1904 Lon C. Hill envisioned the Arroyo Colorado as a commercial waterway. The local economy at first was almost entirely agricultural. Major crops were vegetables and cotton. (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Harlingen History. Harlingen, Texas with its current population of about 70,000 began to take shape about 100 years ago when Anglo settlers came by wagon, rail, and high-wheeled stagecoach to join Hispanic pioneers in a landscape thick with mesquite, coyote, and cactus. Bandit raids during 1915-17, related to the upheavals of the Mexican Revolution and Pancho Villa’s border battles, alarmed many of the settlers in South Texas. Hundreds of residents moved from the Valley during this period. By 1919, stability prevailed. Throughout the 1920s, trainloads of settlers arrived almost daily to farm the irrigated delta. Thousands of small vegetable tracts and citrus groves were sold in and around Harlingen to individuals brought in on excursion trains by the land men. (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The Missouri Pacific Railroad Company. The Missouri Pacific built a 2,500-mile system covering that part of Texas south of a line from Longview through Austin and San Antonio to Laredo, as well as a route from Valley Junction north through Waco to Fort Worth. It served all of the Gulf ports in Texas as well as providing two interchange points with railroads in Mexico. The fourteen companies operated under common management as the Missouri Pacific Lines, (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.