Ironton in Iron County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Iron County Missouri Courthouse Complex
National Register of Historic Places
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 37° 35.853′ N, 90° 37.726′ W. Marker is in Ironton, Missouri, in Iron County. Marker is on South Shepherd Street north of West Russell Street, on the right when traveling south. This National Register of Historic Places Plaque is mounted at eye-level, directly on the 1866 Iron County Sheriff's House, just to the left of the Shepherd Street entrance. There is an identical plaque on the nearby (east, across Shepherd Street) 1858 Iron County Courthouse, also mounted at eye-level, just to the left of the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 South Shepherd Street, Ironton MO 63650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron County - The "Birthplace of 4-H" in Missouri (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Pilot KnobWar In The Arcadia Valley (about 300 feet away); VFW Post 5527 Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); General Grant Commission Commemorative (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironton.
Regarding Iron County Missouri Courthouse Complex. from Wikipedia: Iron County Courthouse Buildings is a historic courthouse complex located at Ironton, Iron County, Missouri. The complex consists of the two-story, red brick Italianate / Greek Revival style courthouse (1858); an octagonal, frame gazebo (1899); and two-story, brick sheriff's house and connecting stone jail (c. 1866-1867). National Register of Historic Places (1979)
Also see . . .
1. Iron County Courthouse Complex National Register of Historic Places Nomination. The Iron County Courthouse Complex (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Iron County Courthouse. Iron County has had only one courthouse. Ironton was chosen as the county seat in 1857. David Carson and Hiram N. Tong, businessmen in the area, owned the site of Ironton and had laid out the town. They donated alternate town lots to the county, and money from the sale of these lots provided more than $10,000 of the $14,000 cost of the courthouse. Henry H. Wright furnished the plan for the building and was awarded $25. The court granted the building contract to George S. Evans and William F. Mitchell. The cornerstone ceremony took place on July 4, 1858. Construction was completed and the building ready for occupancy in October 1860. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.