Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court
Furnished horses, equipment and clothing for county men in the Civil War. Levied war taxes on property, exempting lands or estates of Confederate soldiers.
After surveying to determine needs of the families of Brazos soldiers, appropriated funds to care for them. Gave credits for contributions made by citizens to soldiers' dependents.
Issued county warrants for 25 (cents), 50 (cents), $1, $2, $3 and $5 that passed as legal tender.
Obtained for resale to the citizens scarce powder, lead, gun caps, medicines, shoes, cotton cards, cloth, shoe makers' tools.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8667.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 40.421′ N, 96° 22.248′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 26th Street and North Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in small plaza near Brazos County Courthouse Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East 26th Street, Bryan TX 77803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Town Named for William Joel Bryan (here, next to this marker); Harvey Mitchell (here, next to this marker); Brazos County (a few steps from this marker); Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Queen Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Salle Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Odd Fellows University and Orphans Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
Also see . . . Brazos County Commissioners Court.
On the eve of the Civil War, Brazos County had a mixed economy of small farms and a few larger plantations, with a population of 1,713 whites and 1,063 slaves. Of the 118 slaveholders in the county, seventy-seven owned fewer than five slaves, and only four owned more than fifty. The county voted 215 to 44 for secession in 1861 and mobilized its inhabitants for the war. The railhead at Millican became an important transportation center for the Confederate war effort, and a training camp was established nearby in 1861. Local men formed companies or parts of companies in the Twenty-first and Twenty-fifth Texas Cavalry regiments, the Tenth Texas Infantry regiment, and other army units, and participated in various home and state guard units. During the war the Brazos County Commissioners Court acted to gather supplies for the Confederacy and assist the indigent families of men serving in the armed forces. (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on July 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.