Kyle in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
An 1895 election incorporated the town but voters discontinued the status two years later. Kyle was incorporated again in 1906 and J. W. Tompkins served as the first mayor.
In the 1940s Kyle residents elected an all-woman municipal government. The mayor, who won using a write-in campaign, was Mary Kyle Hartson (1865-1956), daughter of Fergus Kyle. Her brother Edwin Jackson Kyle (b. 1876) was dean of the Texas A&M School of Agriculture. He later served in the administrations of Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman as the ambassador to Guatemala (1944-48). Kyle Football
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10288.)
Location. 29° 59.297′ N, 97° 52.613′ W. Marker is in Kyle, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of West Center Street (Farm to Market Road 150) and South Main Street, on the left when traveling west on West Center Street. Marker is in the middle of City Square Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kyle TX 78640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Kyle (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cora Jackman Donalson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Kyle Auction Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Katherine Anne Porter (approx. 0.2 miles away); WPA Projects at Kyle School (approx. ¼ mile away); Kyle Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Kyle Pioneer Family Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bunton Branch Bridge (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kyle.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Women •
More. Search the internet for Kyle.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 82 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.