Henderson in Henderson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Central Park Fountain
The "new" Central Park Fountain, installed in July 2003, is a faithful reproduction of the fountain that stood on this site from 1892 to 1963. Originally costing $3000, the first fountain quickly became a treasured landmark in downtown Henderson. Fountain parts started coming loose in the 1920's, no doubt caused in part by the fountain operating and then freezing during cold weather. The partially disassembled and vandalized fountain was finally removed in 1963. Several unsuccessful efforts were mounted in intervening decades to bring back the fountain. The dream was finally realized in 2003, coming about as a part of the larger revitalization of Henderson's downtown.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical month for this entry is July 2003.
Location. 37° 50.295′ N, 87° 35.554′ W. Marker is in Henderson, Kentucky, in Henderson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Elm Street and Center Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located near the center of Henderson's Central Park, beside the sidewalk, on the southwest side of the subject Central Park Fountain. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henderson KY 42420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. They Served with Honor for Freedom (within shouting distance of this Henderson County Vietnam Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Operation Desert Storm Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Raid on Newburgh (within shouting distance of this marker); Workers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); County Formed, Named (within shouting distance of this marker); A Civil War Action (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henderson County Revolutionary War Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henderson.
Also see . . . Central Park (History through 1993, from The Gleaner, by Chuck Stinnett). By the early 1890s, some Hendersonians were no longer satisfied with the amenities their park offered. The newspaper campaigned for the erection of a fine fountain, and in May the city council complied, agreeing to spend up to $5,000. The fountain, constructed of iron and pot metal, was a tall, elegant affair, with cherubs riding open-mouthed fish and a column topped by the statue of a woman. Goldfish once swam in the fountain's pool. After years of deterioration and vandalism, it was eventually dismantled, and its figures stored away to prevent further vandalism. In 1976, the city constructed a new fountain on the site of the original structure. But it operated poorly and within a few years fell into disuse. (Submitted on July 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.