The Dormitory at the Morris Industrial School for Indians
The Sisters of Mercy mission school at Morris housed Chippewa Indians from Turtle Mountain Reservation in North Dakota and Dakota Indians from Sisseton Reservation in South Dakota. The mission school was operated under a contract with the federal government, whose policy prior to 1887 had been to isolate Indians on reservations. After 1887, the Dawes Severalty Act emphasized assimilation of Indians into mainstream culture. Mission boarding schools were established to fill the need for an education system. In Minnesota, many of these boarding schools including the Morris School, were administered by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions.
In 1896 federal policy changed again, and administration of the Morris Indian mission school was transferred to the federal government. The Indian Industrial School at nearby Clontarf
Facing growing opposition to Indian boarding schools, the federal government again changed its policies and abandoned the concept. The Morris Industrial School for Indians was one of the first five federal Indian schools to be transferred to state governments for use in their general education systems. In 1909, the school was renamed the West Central School of Agriculture, and in 1960, changed to the University of Minnesota, Morris.
Erected 1999 by Minnesota Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans.
Location. 45° 35.353′ N, 95° 54.084′ W. Marker is in Morris, Minnesota, in Stevens County. Marker is on Cougar Circle, on the left when traveling west. Marker is on the University of Minnesota Morris campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morris MN 56267, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding The Dormitory at the Morris Industrial School for Indians. The dormitory is now the university's Multi-Ethnic Resource Center.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Morris Industrial School for Indians
Additional keywords. Ojibwe
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.