Rodney in Jefferson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Old Town of Rodney - Layout
Windsor Battlefield Tour
The earliest references to the Rodney area are from the 1774 New England expedition led by General Phineas Lyman to organize a settlement on Big Black River. Captain Matthew Phelps, a member of this expedition, described the area as "firm rock on the east side of the Mississippi for near a mile The land near the river is high, very broken, very rich, and several plantations have been opened." A sketch of Rodney in 1828 by French naturalist and painter Charles Lesueur revealed about 20 buildings leading from the river to the prominent bluff behind town. Two structures were two-story; others were one-story. An 1853 map indicates that Church, Cypress, Magnolia and Spring Streets lay east and west, and Commerce and Olive Streets lay north and south. As the town grew, new streets were added; Batchelor and Griffing lay east and west, while St. Peter lay north and south between these two. These streets, excepting Commerce which has been paved, are now merely dirt roads or have disappeared entirely. Prior to new road construction of the 1960's, the only accessible routes to Rodney were several "sunken" dirt, but very scenic roads lined by moss-draped,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 51.765′ N, 91° 11.993′ W. Marker is in Rodney, Mississippi, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Muddy Bayou Road north of Rodney Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorman MS 39096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of Rodney - Her Rise (here, next to this marker); Old Rodney Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); History of Rodney - Her Fall (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Old Rodney Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Rush Nutt (1781-1837) (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town of Rodney - Structures (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town of Rodney (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Rodney to Bruinsburg Road (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rodney.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2018.