Major General Anthony Wayne
A stern disciplinarian, Wayne rigorously trained his troops before he took his “Legion of the United States” into Miami territory in 1794. His forces defeated the Indian confederacy at the battle of Fort Recovery, Ohio (July 2, 1794) and then again at the battle of Fallen Timbers, near Toledo (August 20, 1794).
Wayne next moved his “Legion” up the Maumee river to the large Native American settlement of Kekionga at the confluence of the Three Rivers. He chose a site across the Maumee River from Kekionga to build the first American fort and then handed over command to Col. John Hamtramck. On October 22, 1794, the fourth anniversary of the defeat of the United States
Anthony Wayne left Fort Wayne four days later, never to return. After inspecting other U.S. garrisons and successfully negotiating the Treaty of Greenville in 1795 with the Indians of the region, Wayne returned to Pennsylvania where he died in 1796.
Erected by ARCH, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Patriots & Patriotism • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 41° 4.856′ N, 85° 8.28′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and South Clinton Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Journal Gazette Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Police Station (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mother George (about 800 feet away); The Canal House (about 800 feet away); Pirogue Landing
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.