Custer in Custer County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Miners Meet 1875
The miners of the Black Hills
held their first meeting to
pass mining regulations at
this location in 1875
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Events • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 43° 46.11′ N, 103° 35.402′ W. Marker is in Custer, South Dakota, in Custer County. Marker is on Mount Rushmore Road (U.S. 16A) 0.3 miles east of State Highway 89, on the right when traveling east. This is a large, wooden, "billboard-style" marker, mounted directly in front of the commercial property at this address. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1164 Mount Rushmore Road, Custer SD 57730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frontier Protection (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank of Dakota Territory (approx. half a mile away); Custer County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Horace N. Ross (approx. 0.6 miles away); Everything changes, or does it? Campsite of General Custer's Expedition (approx. 2.6 miles away); Anna Donna Tallent (approx. 3 miles away); A Legacy of Debate (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Custer.
Also see . . .
1. Gold Mining in the Black Hills. The Black Hills gold rush and the consequent local mining industry began with the Custer Expedition of 1874. As Custer led his 1000 men through the Hills, two miners attached to the undertaking uncovered small quantities of gold near present day Custer, South Dakota. As word spread, the rush began. People flocked to the southern Black Hills, looking for their share of the gold. But the diggings proved meager, and soon prospectors started looking for better paying locations. (Submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Mining in the Northern Black Hills. Native American tribes of the Sioux Nation occupied the Black Hills until General George Armstrong Custer’s 1874 Military Expedition opened the territory, illegally at first, to prospectors. During the expedition, gold was discovered in French Creek in the southern Black Hills near the current town of Custer. Within a year, an estimated (Submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.