Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Junction in Mesa County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Whitman School

c. 1925

 
 
Whitman School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
1. Whitman School Marker
Inscription.  This building was constructed in 1925, and served as an elementary school until 1965. It and the adjoining park, formerly known as Cottonwood, were named the Whitman School and Whitman Park, in honor of frontier missionary Marcus Whitman, who passed through this area in 1842. Whitman was heading east to urge the United States Congress to lay claim to Oregon Country, occupied by both the United States and Great Britain.

The Museum of Arts and Sciences opened in this building in 1965, the predecessor of the Museums of Western Colorado.
 
Erected by Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 4.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicEducationParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
 
Location. 39° 3.939′ N, 108° 33.95′ W. Marker is in Grand Junction, Colorado, in Mesa County. Marker is at the intersection of South 4th Street and Ute Avenue (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling north on South 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at
The former Whitman School. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
2. The former Whitman School.
Click or scan to see
this page online
or near this postal address: 248 South 4th Street, Grand Junction CO 81501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Regis Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Sampliner’s Dry Goods (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Junction News Established (about 600 feet away); Mesa Drug/City Market (about 700 feet away); Bannister Furniture (about 700 feet away); The Fair Building (about 700 feet away); Benge’s Shoe Store (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Junction.
 
Regarding Whitman School. This structure was sold to the Grand Junction Chamber of Commerce in 1925. The Chamber then rented the building for $1 a year to the brand new Museum of Western Colorado. It remained the main museum building until 2000, when the museum moved into the larger C.D. Smith building half a block east. Recent restoration uncovered much of original exterior, including the school name lettered in stone over the front door. The museum won a special award in 2001 from the Colorado Historical Society for the building’s rehabilitation. It now houses yoga and fitness training classes and offices and conference rooms.
 
Additional commentary.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
1. Building haunted.

Some believe the old school is haunted by an early-day female teacher. However, a male janitor who died from a heart attack while shoveling coal into the boiler during the 1930s is the only documented death to have occurred in the building.
    — Submitted July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120079

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021