Glenwood Springs in Garfield County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Illuminating the Future
Expansion to Hydroelectric
Devereux's dreams for Glenwood Springs' growth were so successful that the demands for his electrical power grew quickly. The years 1887 and 1888 saw the design and construction of the current building, the Glenwood Springs Hydroelectrical Plant.
Devereux contracted for the building design with Viennese architect Theodore von Rosenberg, who had also designed the original Hot Springs' structures. The Hydroelectric Plant eventually housed five water-powered turbines and a back-up coal-fired steam generator.
By 1896, the Hydroelectric Plant was supplying 1750 incandescent lamps throughout the town. In 1897, electricity was lighting the newly opened Fairy Caves, just northwest of the town.
Between 1912 and 1919, the small concrete structure north of the main building was constructed for use as a transformer house for the plant's alternating current system.
Along with additional funds from the City of Glenwood Springs and the Glenwood Springs Center for the Arts, the restoration was completed in 2004.
Today, the Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric
How the System Worked
Electricity is created when the fast-moving water turns the Pelton wheels. This action is similar to how running water would turn a simple water wheel. The movement of the Pelton wheels turned a belt which in turn powered the generators. This produced electricity which was distributed to the city via power lines.
For the street lights, it was necessary to convert the "DC" (direct current) generated power to a usable voltage. The voltage was "transformed" at the transformer building which is located behind the Hydroelectric Plant.
Erected by the Frontier Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 39° 33.019′ N, 107° 19.278′ W. Marker is in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in Garfield County. Marker is at the intersection of East 6th Street and North River Street, on the right when traveling west on East 6th Street. Building now the Glenwood Center For the Arts. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 East 6th Street, Glenwood Springs CO 81601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant (here, next to this marker); Rex Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Star Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel Denver (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hotel Glenwood (approx. 0.3 miles away); When the Railroads Arrived in Glenwood Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Water for Glenwood Springs (approx. 0.3 miles away); And Devereux Said Unto Glenwood, "Let There Be Light" (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenwood Springs.
Also see . . . The Colorado Encyclopedia article on the Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant. (Submitted on July 14, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.