Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Deadwood's First City Park

 
 
Deadwood's First City Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, July 14, 2018
1. Deadwood's First City Park Marker
Inscription.  

By the mid-1890s Deadwood city officials deemed it necessary to purchase a tract of land to be used for recreation and enjoyment by its citizens. Almost fifteen years elapsed before Deadwood's first city park was created. The park surrounding you was the result of these early efforts.

In 1911, a devastating fire leveled many buildings along Sherman Street including those structures that now make up this park. The City and the Deadwood Business Club purchased the land after a public vote. Construction of the park and the adjacent Deadwood Auditorium (Recreation Center) began in the fall of 1912 under the direction off Mayor William E. Adams. Upon its completion one year later, this park was the first of seven parks that are now within Deadwood's city limits.

As part of the park beautification, the City received a ten-inch shell from the Battleship USS Maine in May of 1912. Though intended to be placed on public display in the park, ninety-eight years elapsed before the shell was rediscovered by the City Archives in front of the old Deadwood High School. In 2012, the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
erected the USS Main memorial in the park to commemorate the 100th anniversary of acquiring the piece from the USS Maine.

In the summer of 1938, the Goldberg Family placed a sundial memorial in the park in memory of Jacob Goldberg and Deadwood's pioneers. In 1977, the park was officially named Richard Gordon Memorial Park after the longtime resident, Deadwood School Superintendent and supporter of the Deadwood Recreation Center and 76ers Swim Team. Today, Gordon Park continues to serve the Deadwood community through its many amenities.

[Photo captions; top right and bottom left] 1880 photograph showing a portion of South Deadwood and the future location of Deadwood's first city park. The black lines denote the location of the park boundary and Deadwood Auditorium (Recreation Center).

Photograph of Deadwood's first city park, circa 1940.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1912.
 
Location. 44° 22.4′ N, 103° 43.685′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Sherman St. This marker is located in Gordon Park, Deadwood, South Dakota. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish-American War Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); The Presidential District
Deadwood's First City Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, July 14, 2018
2. Deadwood's First City Park Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Fish & Hunter Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Utility Building (about 500 feet away); Lawrence County Jails & Capital Punishment (about 500 feet away); The Smokestack - Reconstructed (about 500 feet away); The Franklin’s Fine Home (about 500 feet away); President Taft Comes to Deadwood (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
 
Jacob Goldberg Memorial Sundial image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, July 14, 2018
3. Jacob Goldberg Memorial Sundial
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120232

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024