Fond du Lac in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Union Soldiers Monument
On June 7, 1901, the Fond du Lac County Board formed a soldiers’ monument committee to determine the monument’s design and budget. A countywide referendum permitted up to $5,000 of county funding. Manufactured by the Bronze Monument Co. of Bridgeport, Connecticut, the monument arrived by train on September 25, 1902, and was erected soon thereafter.
Speculations about the monument never having been formally dedicated have focused on a controversy over the quality of the monument’s materials and appearance. The blue-gray colored monument became known as the “Tin Soldier” by residents and local veterans’ organizations.
Erected 2017 by Fond du Lac County and Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 572.)
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 7, 1901.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 190 South Main Street, Fond du Lac WI 54935, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Union Soldiers Monument (a few steps from this marker); Wisconsin Progressive Party (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Military Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Pioneer Military Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Spanish–American War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Locomotive No. 2714 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Pier Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fond du Lac.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 18, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.