Edison National Historic Site, NJ
Built in 1908 with Edison Portland Cement, construction of this garage gave Thomas Edison experience in using concrete as a building material. Although it was built with conventional methods, Edison used the garage to help develop his own technique of constructing mass-produced, poured-concrete houses using iron molds.
The garage housed the family’s gasoline and electric automobiles, including a 1922 Model T Ford (a gift from Henry Ford, a family friend), two Detroit Electrics, and a 1902 Locomobile which Edison adapted to run on his own storage batteries. To care for these vehicles, the garage had a car wash, gas pump, air compressor, battery charger, and a turntable to help park as many as ten vehicles.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 40° 47.157′ N, 74° 14.339′ W. Marker is in West Orange, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Honeysuckle Road, on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenhouse and Barn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Llewellyn Park (about 400 feet away); Mina Miller Edison (about 400 feet away); Edison’s Home, Glenmont (about 400 feet away); Glenmont (about 500 feet away); The Estate Staff (about 500 feet away); Japanese Stone Lanterns (about 700 feet away); Access Granted (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Orange.
More about this marker. Several photographs appear on the marker. The upper right of the marker has a photo of the Edisons’ Mors touring car parked in the garage doorway, about 1909. The bottom of the marker features photos of “The garage interior [which] had a hose for washing cars, a turntable to assist in parking cars, and chauffeur’s quarters on the second floor.” Next to this is a photo of “Thomas and Mina Edison in their Detroit Electric Victoria roadster, about 1920. Note that Mina is at the steering control.” Finally, the bottom right contains a photo of “The Edison’s chauffeur [as he] drives their Mors touring car out of the garage, about 1910.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers at Thomas Edison's Glenmont homesite.
Also see . . . Edison National Historic Site. National Park Service. (Submitted on October 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.