Williamsport founder Michael Ross established this Market Square as the commercial hub of his town. The Square was for many years the location of the Curbside Market, which moved indoors in 1931 and became Williamsport Growers Market. The Square was also an assembly point for the drawing of the Civil War Draft names, the location of the Ulman Opera House, and the transportation crossroads for the city and county.
Erected 2006 by City of Williamsport.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
Location. 41° 14.465′ N, 77° 0.076′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and 3rd Street, on the left when traveling north on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Little League • Big Legacy (a few steps from this marker); Lycoming County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Symbols Of Our Heritage (about 400 feet away); Transportation Tribute (about 500 feet away); Architectural Artifacts (about 500 feet away); Downtown on the Move
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 21, 2018.