Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glenwood Springs in Garfield County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Water for Glenwood Springs

 
 
Water for Glenwood Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
1. Water for Glenwood Springs Marker
Inscription.  
The growing town of Glenwood Springs needed pure water, piped into homes and businesses, despite the effort and the cost.

In February 1887, the Board of Trustees advertised statewide for construction bids to build a town water supply. The Crystal Water System won the bid with its offer to supply water from the Roaring Fork River. Due to the Roaring Fork's pollution, however, the proposal was soon thrown out.

Glenwood Springs founder Issac Cooper won approval in a re-bid. His plan to bring pure mountain water from No Name Creek began in late summer, but his untimely death in December 1887 stopped the project. With plenty of financial backing, Walter Devereux's Colorado Land and Improvement Co. assumed Cooper's contract.

Devereux's $80,000 plan brought water from No Name Creek to Glenwood Springs by way of a wooden flume attached to the walls of Glenwood Canyon. The ample flow powered the turbines of the electric plant, provided fresh water at the Hot Springs Pool, and when piped across the Colorado River, supplied water for domestic use, firefighting and irrigation.

Pure
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
water, when and where you need it, is worth whatever it costs to get it there.
John Wright, The Coming of the Water Famine

Photo caption: In 1888, municipal water flowed from No Name Creek to Glenwood Springs via a wooden flume. The creek still supplies water to the city, though now by tunnel.
 
Erected 2012 by Frontier Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1887.
 
Location. 39° 32.795′ N, 107° 19.461′ W. Marker is in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in Garfield County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 8th Street. Located on the side of the Glenwood Chamber Visitor Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 Grand Avenue, Glenwood Springs CO 81601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. And Devereux Said Unto Glenwood, "Let There Be Light" (here, next to this marker); When Snow Slides Closed the Canyon (here, next to this marker); When the Railroads Arrived in Glenwood Springs (here, next to this marker); Immigrants Found Future in Colorado (a few steps from this marker); CCC Men Built Improvements for Glenwood (a
Water for Glenwood Springs Marker is fourth from left. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
2. Water for Glenwood Springs Marker is fourth from left.
few steps from this marker); Healthy Atmosphere Rehabilitated Soldiers (a few steps from this marker); "The First National Bank Building" (a few steps from this marker); David Delaplane, Father of Colorado Mountain College (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenwood Springs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120535

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024