Danevang in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery
The congregation erected a meeting hall at this site in 1895. A sanctuary made of native pine and cypress was erected here in 1909. A painting of St. Ansgar baptizing a child was placed inside the new church building and a 1700-pound bell, which could be heard four to five miles away, was placed in the church steeple. The sanctuary was destroyed in a 1945 storm and replaced with an army chapel which the congregation reassembled at this site.
The first recorded interment was that of Maren Andersen in 1895. The cemetery, maintained by a board established in 1965, contains three former pastors and veterans of wars ranging from the
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 172.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 29° 2.609′ N, 96° 12.261′ W. Marker is in Danevang, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on County Road 426, 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located under a covered pavilion in the center of the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 357 County Road 426, Danevang TX 77432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Danevang Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Danevang Pioneer Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Danevang Community Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Danevang (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clemville (approx. 5.1 miles away); Midfield Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Midfield Methodist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Deming’s Bridge Community (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danevang.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.