Pineville in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
300 Block Main Street
1913: E. Blum opened a nursery on land leased from the Jewish Cemetery. Later, O.M. Barnage and James Haley operated nurseries there until the cemetery expanded. 1858: Charles Schraeder, Theodore Schaedel and Christian Baden built the Episcopal Church and layed out the cemetery. However, some graves date as early as 1824. Wood for the project was donated by Major Huie. The church was dedicated by Bishop Leondis Polk, who later left the parish to serve as a Confederate General. The church was used as a hospital during the War Between the States. 1947: Presentation of the parish house adjunct to Mt. Olivet was made by Dr. Fayette C. Ewing and wife Rowen Clarke Ewing, in memory of his sister, Leila Wills Ewing.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 19.003′ N, 92° 26.384′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Main Street (Business U.S. 165) north of Hardtner Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jewish Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); 200 Block of Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Olivet Chapel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olivet Cemetery and Chapel (about 400 feet away); Pineville #3 (about 600 feet away); Rapides Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Pineville #4 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pineville #2 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018.