Roseville in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Watching the Big Show
at the Gratiot Drive-In Theater
The outdoor theater was a delightful landmark in Roseville
and in the memories of people who enjoyed the Gratiot Drive-In for 36 years. It first opened in 1948 and offered entertainment until it closed in September 1984. People fondly remember the pink neon glow of its huge sign and the playground with pony rides and a merry-go-round for children. Everyone looked forward to Fourth of July fireworks blasting overhead. Known for its high waterfall, the Gratiot Drive-In was once stricken by pranksters who poured detergent into the water and filled the scene with soapsuds.
You Auto Know
A three-foot tall model of the Gratiot Drive-In is displayed in the lobby of the Roseville City Hall.
Erected 2014 by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area series list.
Location. 42° 30.963′ N, 82° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29777 Gratiot Avenue, Roseville MI 48066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Packard Field in Roseville (here, next to this marker); Frenchy's Auto Parts (here, next to this marker); Rapid Railway Company (a few steps from this marker); A Plank Road History (a few steps from this marker); Erin United Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Baumgartner House 1875 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Baumgartner House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roseville.
Also see . . . Reader memories of Gratiot Drive-In fuel Macomb Daily Facebook frenzy. (Submitted on July 23, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
1. Gratiot Drive-In Location
The Gratitot Drive-In was located about 1.2 miles north of the marker — at the southeast corner of Gratiot Avenue (State Highway 3) and Masonic Boulevard.
— Submitted July 23, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights,
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.