Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Georgia Medical Society
In 1740, the first clinic for the poor opened at nearby Bethesda under Dr. John Hunter and Reverend George Whitefield, who previously had founded America's oldest orphanage there.
The Georgia Medical Society adopted the state's first Code of Medical Ethics, achieved a program of systematic vaccination against smallpox, carried out health surveys of Savannah and surrounding counties, founded a Medical Library, formed the first systematic anti-malarial effort begun in the United States, and conducted extensive studies of Savannah's major epidemic diseases malaria, yellow fever, and smallpox.
Erected 1983 by Georgia Medical Society.
Topics. This Colonial Era • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is June 28, 1935.
Location. 32° 4.702′ N, 81° 5.106′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Houston St near E. St Julian St, on the left when traveling north. east side at Washington Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Fire Company (within shouting distance of this marker); John B. Hohenstein, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev’d A. Dale Umbreit (within shouting distance of this marker); A. Douglass Strobhar (within shouting distance of this marker); New World Medical Plants (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Pirates House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Georgia Medical Society (about 400 feet away); Old Harbor Light (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Georgia Medical Society (Celebrates 200th Anniversary ). Georgia was first a colony and then a young state for 70 years before the charter (Submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,718 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.