Klump Academic Center
Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 15
— 1914 • Centennial • 2014 —
Constructed in 1914, wing added in 1934
The Klump Academic Center is the most historic landmark still in use on campus. The building opened in 1914 as Williamsport High School.
Adult vocational classes, held in the high school basement, led to the development of Williamsport Technical Institute (1941), Williamsport Area Community College (1965), and Pennsylvania College of Technology (1989).
Center of Celebrations
Throughout its history, the Academic Center has been a center of academic life in Williamsport. It was reported that when the building opened - as a high school - in 1914, 15,000 people attended a three-day celebration.
In addition to its vast array of classrooms, the center is home to a beautifully restored auditorium, which hosts both college and community events.
Inside the Academic Center (ACC)
• EMS lab in basement
• Academic Success Center
George S. Klump
Dr. George S. Klump was a physician, who served as chairman of the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania. A widely respected community leader in Williamsport, Dr. Klump served as a
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
• Postcard depicts former Williamsport High School.
• Frederick C. Wagner, shown here as a young drafting student in 1929, became an architect who helped to plan the first renovation of the Klump Academic Center in the 1930s.
• Various instructional programs were offered here.
• Following an extensive renovation, the Klump Academic Center was rededicated in 2004.
• During a rededication ceremony, a time capsule containing items of historical interest was placed in the northeast corner of the first floor.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Location. 41° 14.258′ N, 77° 1.552′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Susquehanna Street, on the right when traveling west on 3rd Street. Marker and building are on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bardo Gymnasium (within shouting distance of this marker); Student Bodies (within shouting distance of this marker); Carl Building Technologies Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center (about 300 feet away); Hager Lifelong Education Center (about 400 feet away); Remembrance Garden (about 600 feet away); Centennial Mosaic (about 600 feet away); Le Jeune Chef (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Klump Academic Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.