Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Muncy in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society

 
 
The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 22, 2018
1. The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society Marker
Inscription.  

The McCarty House, on your left, has been enlarged since the original log structure was erected circa 1800 by William McCarty.

William and his brother, Benjamin, and their Walton cousins were Muncy's founding fathers. William laid out this section of Muncy using the standard municipal grid pattern.

Considered Muncy's oldest surviving building, its low ceilings preserved heat in the winter as did the New England-style central fireplaces. Oral history attests to deer and bear being shot from the front door.

John McCarty, William's son, worked at his blacksmithing trade from the carriage house located to the rear of the family homestead.

Here he would have artfully shaped heated iron into useful items for the household and for his fellow tradesmen - working on a variety of tools for the wheelwright and farmer.

Muncy Historical Society, on your right, is housed in a Federal-style building with Greek Revival elements. Built by John McCarty, circa 1812, the original four-room structure was set back from Main Street, were added by the mid-1850s. Its squirrel tail/beehive bake over survives in the colonial kitchen.

Muncy

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
merchant Thomas Clapp purchased the property for his family. It remained in the Clapp Family until the flood of 1936 when the H. Forest Clapp family donated the building to the town of Muncy for its historical society.

Restored by the WPA in 1937, the building was home to Muncy's Public Library for many years. This building, along with many properties located in Muncy's northern low-lying areas, lies in the flood plain and, in 1972, had five feet of water on the first floor.

[Right photo caption reads]
Dr. Edward Kittoe's dentistry and medical office was located in the John McCarty house (now Muncy Historical Society) until the 1850s.

Dial and Discover Muncy's Walking Tour
(570) 308-3003 Stop #100

 
Erected by Muncy Historical Society and Museum of History, PA DCNR, Susquehanna Greenway, et al.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
 
Location. 41° 12.43′ N, 76° 47.185′ W. Marker is in Muncy, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Main Street north of Noble Alley, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 North Main Street, Muncy PA 17756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
The McCartys Marker and the Muncy Historical Society image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 22, 2018
2. The McCartys Marker and the Muncy Historical Society
distance of this marker. Muncy (a few steps from this marker); Main and Water Streets (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Muncy Woolen Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muncy Normal School (approx. ¼ mile away); Muncy's Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Riebsam House (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muncy.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Muncy Historical Society PA. (Submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Borough of Muncy in History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania (Meginness, 1892). (Submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120915

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024