Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stribling's Battery - Dearing's Battalion
Pickett's Division - Longstreet's Corps
— Army of Northern Virginia —
Longstreet's Corps Pickett's Division
Dearing's Battalion Stribling's Battery
The Fauquier Artillery
Two 20 pounder Parrotts and Four Napoleons
July 3 Advanced to the front about daybreak. Later in the morning took position on the crest of ridge west of Emmitsburg road and near the Rogers House. Drove back with a dozen well directed rounds a strong line of skirmishers whose fire wounded a few men and horses. Bore a conspicuous part in the cannonade preceding Longstreet's assault. But its ammunition being exhausted about the time of the assault began and repeated efforts to obtain a fresh supply proving fruitless the Battery was withdrawn.
July 4 In line of battle all day with the left wing of McLaws's Division. Marched about sunset to Black Horse Tavern.
Losses not reported in detail.
Erected 1910 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1875.
Location. 39° 48.251′ N, 77° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norcom's Battery - Eshleman's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Caskie's Battery - Dearing's Battalion - (within shouting distance of this marker); Richardson's Battery - Eshleman's Battalion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dearing's Battalion (about 300 feet away); Eshleman's Battalion (about 400 feet away); Macon's Battery - Dearing's Battalion (about 400 feet away); Wofford's Brigade (about 400 feet away); Louisiana State Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,143 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on January 10, 2017, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.