Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office

 
 
The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, August 5, 2018
1. The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office Marker
Inscription.  Nicholas T. Schilling, born in Bavaria on Nov. 28, 1845, came as a small child with his parents to the United States. He served in the Civil War (1861-65) as a youthful volunteer in the Maryland cavalry. In 1872, he received his M.D. degree from the Chicago Medical College. When he came to Cedar Bayou (20 mi. SW) in 1874 he worked in a brick factory, earning funds to set up practice, and revealed his skill by treating an accident victim on the job. His first office was a lean-to behind a mercantile store. In 1883 he married Linna E. Gaillard (d. 1922). For some years he practiced from the family residence, then in 1890 built this office nearby, arranging it in ideal order for his treatments, library, and copious records. Besides his general practice, he fitted eyeglasses and performed dentistry. He traveled far and wide to call on patients, and often accepted his fees in the form of vegetables, fruit, livestock, and farm labor. His son John grew up to assist in the practice and later became a physician in Houston.

Dr. N. T. Schilling died in 1919. His daughter Annie kept the office intact until she died in 1966. Then structure and contents,
The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, August 5, 2018
2. The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office
Click or scan to see
this page online
donated to Chambers County, came here by barge to be preserved as a museum.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9133.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 29° 46.24′ N, 94° 41.067′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Washington Avenue (State Highway 61) south of Cummings Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambersea (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambers County Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lone Star Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Events at Anahuac Leading to the Texas Revolution (approx. Ό mile away); Chambers County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. one mile away); Juan Davis Bradburn (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121262

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022