Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James Taylor White

 
 
James Taylor White Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, August 5, 2018
1. James Taylor White Marker
Inscription.  A veteran of the War of 1812, James Taylor White (b.1789) migrated to this area from Louisiana in 1828. As a rancher, he developed one of the largest herds of Longhorn cattle in southeast Texas.

On White's ranch in June 1832, area colonists signed the Turtle Bayou Resolutions. Written to protest the actions of Captain Juan Davis Bradburn, commander of Mexican troops at Anahuac (9 mi. SW), the resolutions were an early sign of the growing dissatisfaction with Mexican governmental policies which limited the rights of colonists. Four years later, during the Texas Revolution, White provided aid and shelter for settlers fleeing the advancing Mexican forces under General Santa Anna. He also helped the Republic of Texas by supplying cattle for the Texas army.

Following the revolution, White began driving his cattle overland to markets in New Orleans. His early cattle drives, utilizing sections of the Opelousas Trail, preceded development of post-Civil War routes, including the Dodge City and Chisholm Trails.

White died in 1852 and was buried near his home (200 yds. S). His cattle brand, the "crossed W", inherited from his
James Taylor White Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, August 5, 2018
2. James Taylor White Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
father in 1806, is still used by members of the White family.
 
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12650.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812War, Texas Independence.
 
Location. 29° 50.246′ N, 94° 36.498′ W. Marker is near Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 10 at milepost 815, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in the Chambers County Safety Rest Area Eastbound (exit 814). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26022 Interstate Highway 10, Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 2½ miles away); Turtle Bayou Resolutions (approx. 2.7 miles away); Anahuac Oil and Gas Field (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chambers County (approx. 6 miles away); Events at Anahuac Leading to the Texas Revolution (approx. 6.3 miles away); Lone Star Canal (approx. 6.4 miles away); Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers (approx. 6½ miles away); The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
 
Also see . . .  White, James Taylor - The Handbook of Texas Online
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121266

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022