Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Anderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Clinton High School

 
 
Clinton High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
1. Clinton High School Marker
Inscription.  Following a court order by Federal District Judge Robert L. Taylor, on August 27, 1956, 12 black students, now known as "The Clinton 12", enrolled in Clinton High School without incident, making it one of the first desegregated public high schools in the South. On Labor Day weekend segregationists led protests and riots, prompting Governor Frank G. Clement to send 600 National Guardsmen to Clinton. Two years later, on October 5, 1958, three bombs exploded at the school, leaving it in ruins. Despite this act, Clinton and Anderson County were able to complete school desegregation without further incident.
 
Erected 2015 by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1D 41.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCivil RightsEducation. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 27, 1956.
 
Location. 36° 6.072′ N, 84° 8.095′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Tennessee, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of North Hicks Street and Leinart Street, on the left when traveling north on North Hicks Street. Marker is located near the entrance of the Clinton Middle School. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton TN 37716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clinton City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clinton Middle School (about 400 feet away); Anderson County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Town Springs (about 600 feet away); Academy Hill (about 600 feet away); Green McAdoo School (about 700 feet away); The Rev. Paul W. Turner (about 700 feet away); Terrapin Hill (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Clinton High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
2. Clinton High School Marker
The Clinton 12 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
3. The Clinton 12
The Clinton 12 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
4. The Clinton 12
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 612 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on August 8, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.   3, 4. submitted on January 2, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121331

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024