Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
El Dorado in Union County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

El Dorado Female Institute

 
 
El Dorado Female Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 1, 2018
1. El Dorado Female Institute Marker
Inscription.  Bennett. G. Clark and Sarah W. Clark deeded this land to William Rust, John H. Cornish, John R. Hampton, and William H. Hines, trustees of El Dorado Female Institute, in 1847. May 7, 1858 Albert Rust deeded additional land to Robert Goodwin. Hezekiah Bussey. Argon Ammon, Hampton P. Smead, Hugh D. Marr, William R. Cowser and James W. Adams "in perpetual trust for the use of a Female Academy." The present building is the oldest in the county continually used for Education.
 
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationWomen. A significant historical date for this entry is May 7, 1858.
 
Location. 33° 12.571′ N, 92° 39.94′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Arkansas, in Union County. Marker is on South West Avenue south of West Block Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in front of South Arkansas Community College-West Campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South West Avenue, El Dorado AR 71730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oil in Arkansas — The Discovery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil in Arkansas — Chaos
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil in Arkansas — The Smackover Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil in Arkansas — The Wildcatters (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Dorado Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); For Service in Iraq and Afghanistan (approx. ¼ mile away); The Gunfight on the Square (approx. ¼ mile away); The Gunfight on El Dorado's Courthouse Square, Oct. 9, 1902 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
 
Regarding El Dorado Female Institute. Reverend William Lacy established a Presbyterian church in the new county seat. In 1843, Lacy and his wife, Julia, formed El Dorado’s first private academy in their small home. After two years, he left to manage his plantation and turned his students over to Elizabeth Banks, who founded what became El Dorado Female Institute (current site of South Arkansas Community College). The school occupied land donated by Albert Rust, the first U.S. congressman from Union County.
 
El Dorado Female Institute Marker at the South Arkansas Community College. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 1, 2018
2. El Dorado Female Institute Marker at the South Arkansas Community College.
View from marker towards the El Dorado Conference Center. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 1, 2018
3. View from marker towards the El Dorado Conference Center.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121358

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024