Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Engine House Number One / Neptune Engine No. 1
(Engine House Number One – marker side 1)
Toledo's first fire station was built in November 1837 one city block due north of this site at the southwest corner of Cherry Street and Eagle Lane at 519 Cherry on what is now the driveway for the Goodwill Industries Building. It was a small non-descript, wooden building, built by contractors Hoisington and Manning for $78. It was replaced by a two-story brick building with tin-clad window sills and trim in December 1854. With fire trucks becoming larger and heavier, it was necessary to construct a new building in 1872 at a cost of $7000. Designated Station No. 2, it remained in service until 1953 when the new headquarters station at Huron and Orange streets was dedicated. It disappeared for good during the Urban Renewal projects of the late 1950s and 1960s.
(Neptune Engine No.1 – marker side 2)
Toledo's first fire engine was hand pulled and hand pumped. Built in New York City by James Smith in 1837 and shipped here by way of the Erie Canal, it was used until after the Civil War when a horse-drawn steam pumper replaced it. Neptune No. 1
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Toledo Firefighters Museum and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 36-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1837.
Location. 41° 39.347′ N, 83° 31.992′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Orange Street south of North Huron Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in Chub DeWolfe Park, near the south apex of the park at the intersection of Orange and Huron streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Blade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James A. Rhodes Plaza (about 500 feet away); Toledo (about 600 feet away); Project Blue Light (about 600 feet away); Lucas County Civil War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Combat Veterans Wounded Memorial (about 700 feet away); Officer Jacob "Jake" Chandler (about 800 feet away); Lucas County Vieatnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Also see . . . History of Toledo's Firefighters. The fire engine of Neptune Fire Engine & Hose Co. No. 1 was built by James Smith of New York City. It was sold during the Civil War to the Village of Wauseon, as Neptune No. 1 had received the new Silsby steam engine. In 1935 it was donated by the Mayor and Council of the Village of Wauseon to the Toledo Relief Association. It was housed at the Toledo Zoo for years, falling into grave condition, and was finally removed and completely reconditioned by members of the Toledo Fire Division. It is now restored and kept at the No. 3 Fire Station at Bush and Erie Streets. (Submitted on August 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.