Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
(Chickamauga Presbyterian Church)
This structure is erected from stone quarried from the Stubblefield Farm and from the base of White Oak Mountain. Timber was procured from dense forests in the area. The total cost is said to be only $1600.00 and construction took two years. (1)
The pews made for the "Dogwood Campground" building were moved here. During the War Between the States it was reported that the benches were placed facing each other and used for fodder troughs for the Union army's horses. These benches show evidence of indentations of the horses' teeth.
Officially the name "Stone Church" was not attained until 1912. Military dispatches and field reports during the War Between the States era cite this name. During this time the Confederate and Union armies used the building as headquarters,
Other than this era, the Church has been used only as a Church until 1920 when Church membership dwindled and the Church was sold to a Methodist group and in 1923 it was sold to a group of individual citizens.
The gospel hymn "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," words by E.A. Hoffman, music by A.J. Showalter, was performed for the first time at the Stone Church led by Ref. Mark Matthews, minster of the Church. (3)
Following the 1920's the building was used sporadically until 1995 when the Catoosa County Historical Society took steps to acquire it for restoration. This effort was supported by the Catoosa County Government and the State of Georgia. Plans were finalized by architect, Ross Andrews and a grant was procured. Society members and others began a thorough renovation completed by October, 1997. The building, today, houses a museum of artifacts from the War Between the States and other early periods. The Church and Museum are open to the public on designated days and hours.
1 - "History of Catoosa County" - William H.H. Clark
2 - "War of the Rebellion - Official Report" - A compilation of Official Records
3 - "Calhoun Times" - J. Roy McGinty
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Church And Catoosa Station (here, next to this marker); Trail of Tears Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital (approx. 0.9 miles away); Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals (approx. 1.4 miles away); Confederate General Patrick Cleburne's Emancipation Proposal (approx. 1˝ miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
Also see . . .
1. Leaning on the Everlasting Arms. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on October 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Leaning On the Everlasting Arms. Performance by Iris Dement (Submitted on October 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,503 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on October 3, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 4. submitted on August 6, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.