Canton in Madison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Old Madison County Jail
Architecturally distinctive 19th century penal facility. Jailer's quarters in front; cell block in rear. Built 1870 by Valentine Warner and architect C.W. Oates. Jail closed in 1969.
Erected 1988 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 32° 36.682′ N, 90° 1.856′ W. Marker is in Canton, Mississippi, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East Fulton Street and Shady Lane, on the right when traveling east on East Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canton MS 39046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Howcutt Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Priestley House (about 700 feet away); Grace Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison County Movement (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harvey's Scouts MonumentMadison County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hickory Street (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Also see . . . Old Madison County Jail - Historic Resource Inventory Fact Sheet. Among the most outstanding and best-preserved nineteenth-century penal facilities extant in Mississippi. It is also significant as an example of post-Civil War architecture, exhibiting both domestic and institutional characteristics of the period. The jail was constructed by Valentine Warner under the supervision of architect C.W. Oates at a cost of $25,000. (Submitted on August 12, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2018, by T. Patton of Jefferson, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 29, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.