Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Richardson's Battery - Eshleman's Battalion

Artillery Reserve - Longstreet's Corps

 

— Army of Northern Virginia —

 
Eshleman's Battalion - Richardson's Battery Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2008
1. Eshleman's Battalion - Richardson's Battery Tablet
The battery was also known as 2nd Company, Washington (Louisiana) Artillery.
Inscription.  
Army of Northern Virginia
Longstreet's Corps Artillery Reserve
Eshleman's Battalion Richardson's Battery

Two Napoleons and One 12 pounder Howitzer

July 3 The Napoleons took position before daylight north of the Peach Orchard but moved at dawn further northward and west of the Emmitsburg road. A Union 3 inch Rifle left the day before between the lines was brought in under a heavy fire of skirmishers and served with this battery which took part in the cannonade preceding Longstreet's assault. After the repulse of that assault was joined by the Howitzer and made preparations to assist in repelling a countercharge if attempted. Withdrew from the front after dark.

July 4 At 9 a.m. marched with the Battalion to Cashtown to reinforce the cavalry escorting the wagon train.

Losses not reported in detail.
 
Erected 1910 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant day of the year for for this entry is July 3.
 
Location. 39° 48.204′ N, 77° 15.359′ 
Eshleman's Battalion - Richardson's Battery Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2008
2. Eshleman's Battalion - Richardson's Battery Tablet
Two Confederate Napoleons flank the tablet, representing the battery. However, the battery's position on July 3 was further to the east along Emmitsburg Road.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on West Confederate Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Located on Seminary Ridge, in front of the Pitzer's Woods section, in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eshleman's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Wofford's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Norcom's Battery - Eshleman's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana State Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Squires's Battery - Eshleman's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's Battery - Eshleman's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Barksdale's Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stribling's Battery - Dearing's Battalion (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
 
Confederate 12-pounder Napoleon from Macon Arsenal image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2008
3. Confederate 12-pounder Napoleon from Macon Arsenal
Markings on the muzzle of this cannon identify it as registry number 19, produced by Macon Arsenal in 1863. At time of manufacture, it weighed 1180 pounds.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 956 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=12161

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2021