Near Lapwai in Nez Perce County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Spalding’s Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Beginning in the mid-1800s, some Nez Perce became Presbyterian, some became Roman Catholic, and others held to traditional beliefs. Still active, this church is a tangible link to a time of wrenching change and cultural adaptation.
The introduction of Christianity had far-reaching effects upon our people, whether those be good or bad -- Allen P. Slickpoo, Sr.
Erected by Nez Perce National Historical Park. (Marker Number 241.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 46° 26.814′ N, 116° 49.026′ W. Marker is near Lapwai, Idaho, in Nez Perce County. Marker is on Watson's Store Road near Spalding Avenue, on the right Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lapwai ID 83540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Watson's Store (a few steps from this marker); Coming of the Railroad (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Agent's Residence (about 700 feet away); Lapwai Mission Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Rev. Henry Harmon Spalding (approx. ¼ mile away); Spalding’s Gristmill Canals (approx. ¼ mile away); Nez Perce Village Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Lapwai Mission (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lapwai.
More about this marker. This marker is located at Nez Perce National Historical Park, Spalding's Mission site.
Regarding Spalding’s Presbyterian Church. The Spalding’s Presbyterian Church is part of the Lapwai Mission and one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Henry H. and Eliza Spalding, New School Presbyterians from New York, opened the first Christian mission station among the Nez Perces in 1836, a few miles up Lapwai Creek. They moved to this site in 1838.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
More. Search the internet for Spalding’s Presbyterian Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.