Near Chester in Chester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fishing Creek Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1995 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 12-7 / 291.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1752.
Location. 34° 47.994′ N, 81° 4.056′ W. Marker is near Chester, South Carolina, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of Steele Village Road and Fishing Creek Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Steele Village Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester SC 29706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Robert Patton (a few steps from this marker); Fishing Creek Revolutionary / Confederate War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fishing Creek Confederate Monument (a Reverend John Simpson (a few steps from this marker); Wilbur G. Grant Reservoir of Chester Metropolitan District (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of White's Mill (approx. 4.1 miles away); Brattonsville (approx. 7.6 miles away); A House of Untold Stories (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Regarding Fishing Creek Church. Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church & Cemetery is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Although Scots-Irish Presbyterians had been worshipping in the district since 1752, the Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church was not established until the congregation erected a log building in 1770. During the Revolutionary War, the British burned the original log building, along with the manse,
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,417 times since then and 247 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on October 22, 2023, by Ronald Patton of Lancaster, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.