Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Weesatche in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Weser

 
 
Weser Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. Weser Marker
Inscription.  Many German and Polish immigrants came to Texas in the 19th century on a ship named Weser. Arriving at the Port of Galveston, a number of the pioneer settlers made their way overland to this area, establishing a community in the 1850s and 1860s. By 1881, when a post office was granted, it was officially named Weser for the ship that had brought the immigrants to America. By 1900 the settlement included, in addition to the post office, a general merchandise store, a steam grist mill, a cotton gin, a school, a blacksmith shop, a Western Union Telegraph office, a saloon, a Sons of Hermann Lodge hall and a dance hall. A community brass band entertained residents and played for local celebrations.

The population of Weser consisted primarily of farmers and ranchers and their families. The school they established for their children served as a focal point and gathering place for area residents. Early facilities were replaced with a new building erected by volunteers in 1903. It continued to serve students in the Weser area until 1943, when it closed its doors. The building was later sold and moved out of the community.

The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
highest population figure recorded for the town was 153 in 1904. It remained steady until the 1920s, when new generations began moving away to larger cities for greater economic opportunities. By the 1930s only two businesses remained in Weser, and the population had dropped to 50, a figure that remained steady for the remainder of the 20th century. Although smaller in number now, the Weser community represents a typical rural settlement in Goliad County.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11897.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 28° 52.064′ N, 97° 22.015′ W. Marker is near Weesatche, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on U.S. 183, 0.2 miles north of Farm to Market Road 1961, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew's Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away); Lithuanians in Texas (approx. 9 miles away); Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery (approx. 10˝ miles away); Holy Cross Catholic Church (approx. 10.7 miles away); De Witt County (approx. 11.1
Weser Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
2. Weser Marker Area
miles away); DeWitt County Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.1 miles away); C. Eckhardt & Sons Building (approx. 11.4 miles away); John York and Charles Eckhardt (approx. 11.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122047

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024