St. Patrick's Church
Construction of St. Patrick's Catholic Church was completed in 1904. Prior to that time, the congregation met for Mass in Preston Kellams Hall, in a private residence located across Church Street. Funds were raised to build a new church, and the first Mass was celebrated in the unfinished building on Christmas 1903, with parishioners seated on planks resting on kegs of nails.
The church was originally situated on the steep hill behind the current post office. To improve access, the building was placed on timbers and moved to this location in 1930.
In the early years, priests would take the train from Callicoon to Long Eddy, staying overnight Saturday with parishioners. The mission churches, such as St. Patrick's, arose in many of the nearby towns and hamlets and were staffed by the Franciscan Friars who lived and taught at St. Joseph's Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon. St. Patrick's was fondly called "the pearl of the mission."
Erected by Basket Historical Society of the Upper Delaware Valley.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion
Location. 41° 51.109′ N, 75° 7.971′ W. Marker is in Long Eddy, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Church Street north of New York State Route 97, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Church Street, Long Eddy NY 12760, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick's Long Eddy (here, next to this marker); Logging (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Maple Grove House (about 400 feet away); Long Eddy's Pastime (about 500 feet away); Long Eddy Business District (about 500 feet away); Long Eddy Hotel (about 500 feet away); Long Eddy, New York (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Eddy.
Also see . . .
1. Holy Cross & St.Patrick Parish. (Submitted on August 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Basket Historical Society of the Upper Delaware Valley at Facebook. (Submitted on August 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.